Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Fishing It Out!


We have all heard of the amazing health benefits of eating fish. The lean, flaky and delicious fish meat is supposed to be high in omega-3 fatty acids. It is also rich in Vitamin A, lowers the risk of heart attack and even contributes to intelligence. With so many benefits, fish seems to be a veritable treasure trove.

I was watching a programme on BBC the other day that outlined the beneficial aspects of eating fish. A few stressed-out London cabbies were asked to go on a high-fish diet. Their stress or hormone levels were monitored before and after the experiment. I was astounded to note that the stress levels of these cabbies decreased after just a couple of weeks on this diet. They responded better to customers and had improved tolerance to the agonizingly slow traffic in a busy city like London.

Although I am a hard-core non-vegetarian, I was never so interested in eating red-meat dishes. I come from a region where the people are fond of fish. I know that my maternal grand-mother and mother don't even eat meals properly without a dash of fish curry. We always had a variety of fish in our house and even had a long list of family favourites.

I got a new splurge of energy after watching that BBC programme and decided to add more fish dishes to our non-vegetarian diet. The names and types of fish are so strange and varied in the country where I currently reside. To add to the confusion, all the labels and descriptions are also in a foreign language. Therefore, selecting and buying fish is more of an adventure for me and includes researching species names, common names and cooking tips.

Last week, I managed to buy 'fillet de pangasius' and tried frying it with spices. The common name for this fish is 'Iridescent Shark' and is mainly used by the Vietnamese. Despite the name 'shark', Pangasius is actually a sort of Catfish. Pangasius fry was very tasty and I got bold enough to try something else this week. After careful deliberation, I selected "fillet de cabillaud" today. This is supposed to be 'Cod fish' and from what I have read, has a mighty tasty flavour. I am planning to make a traditional, spicy fish curry with this Cod fish.

Ofcourse, I use canned Tuna fish to make fish cakes quite frequently. I also stock up on frozen prawns to make a trade mark 'prawns in coconut milk' curry. So, I have been using some sea-food items in the past but I'm going to aggressively add to that list with more fresh fish dishes. If all the beneficial effects of consuming fish are true, I am certainly looking forward to a healthier and more intelligent me.

I am now concerned more about how to monitor for these changes. Will I become smarter, better equipped to deal with pressures and have high tolerance levels? Is fish really good for health or is it mere publicity? And more importantly, are favourable health changes more due to positive thoughts and reflections rather than dietary changes? I will surely find out soon after some tricky experimenting.

No comments: