Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Delightful Bites - The Spanish Tapas Experience

All good things in life come in small packets...at least that is what I can say about my tapas experience.

Tapas is a variety of appetizers in Spanish cuisine. It may be a medley of vegetables with olives and cheese or even consist of non-vegetarian exotics like octopus, squid and mussels.

Frank is very familiar with the tapas experience. He enticed me into trying a tapas restaurant for dinner one friday.

The restaurant we went to is called Le Bar A Tapas. This restaurant has a queer look with dim lights and antique furniture.

This place certainly resembled a meat eaters paradise. The entire place was decorated with cured (dried, smoked) meat chunks in varying shapes and sizes.

The menu was full of non-vegetarian choices. I looked puzzled when Frank ordered so many tapas for us.

Tapas is an appetizer and is served in little mud pots. The portions are very limited. We need to eat a combination of tapas to form a full meal.

Within minutes, there was an array of mud pots on our table. There was liver cooked in red wine, fried silver fish, ribs, chicken in honey sauce, spicy chicken wings and mussels cooked in garlic.

I loved the chicken liver cooked in red wine. It tasted so rich and full of flavour. The silverfish (tiny fish with silver lines) added a crunchy touch to the meal. The ribs and chicken wings were something to chew on while we conversed. The chicken in the honey sauce tricked the tempted palate with contrasting tastes.

My favorite tapas was mussels in garlic. The half open mussels with the chunk of meat in the center was an absolute treat.

I enjoyed the tapas experience that evening. It was a meal full of little surprises in different colors and flavors.

I am clamoring for more mussels and tapas each day much to the dislike of my irritated husband who introduced me to this unique cuisine. For the time being, I just can't wait to have my next round of tapas.


No comments: