Sunday, February 17, 2008

Valentine's Day in Brussels!

It is fun to have a day dedicated to love. I don't know what love really means. I just know that it cannot be described but only felt.

Valentine's day was the most awaited day when I was in hostel during undergrad days. Most girls waited for their Valentine to come with red roses for them in the morning.

Our batch of girls always dressed in pink on that day just to mark the occasion. Ofcourse, some of us got red flowers (meaning love) and the others got yellow flowers (friendship). Everybody got some flower and that was the important part.

I was in the yellow flower category for most of the years I spent there. I watched all the commotion from the sidelines.

In my final year (when I finally lightened up a bit), I got a red rose from a very special friend of mine. He was a sweet, carefree chap whom I liked but not loved in the real sense of the word.

The best Valentine's day surprise came a long time after that first red rose. I got twelve red roses delivered to my office from my husband who lived in a different continent at that time. He also sent me a cuddly, soft teddy bear which was to be my constant companion for a while.

As I walked back to my desk from the lobby with the perfect dark red roses, my colleagues looked on with excitement.

The next year, my husband forgot that it was Valentine's day until the end of the day. He scrambled to some shop and managed to bring me white lilies.

This time around, it was me who forgot about Valentine's day. I was so caught up during the day that I didn't realize that february 14th was around the corner.

I came home after a long day and found a heart-shaped chocolate box and a box of Burberry perfume. I normally don't like formal gifts but I welcome anything from my husband on Valentine's day.

I don't know what more surprises will come in the coming years...but I sure think it is worth celebrating love even if only for a day.

No comments: