Friday, May 8, 2009

Baby on Board!!

I knew my life had changed forever when I saw his tiny body squirming on my belly in the delivery room. I felt relieved that the long labour session was finally over. Frank and I were overwhelmed with joy at the sight of our son.

I must thank the hospital staff in Brussels who gave me the best care possible before and after the delivery. They were so professional and sympathetic in comparison to the hospital staff I have seen in India. I am sure that less population and more facilities help them maintain such a cheerful disposition.

In Belgium, there is five days mandatory stay in the hospital after delivery. The doctors, mid-wives and even the physiotherapists kept checking on me and the baby during these days. It was a bit annoying at times because somebody was coming for rounds just as I was trying to catch a bit of zzzs.

It was difficult to adjust to the routine of the baby at first. He kept waking up in the night. I felt he was also adapting to this earthly life just like we were to having him around.

My son was born with a head full of hair and with his eyes wide open. Friends, relatives and hospital staff kept commenting on the eyes much to our surprise.

Our home also geared up for the new-born with additional cupboards, crib, changing table and an extra tiny bed for the living room. The excited first-time father also stocked up on toys, cuddly teddy bears and lots of clothes. This is despite me emphasisizing that it will take a while for the baby to be able to play with all the toys.

Its exactly three months since this handsome baby boy entered our life. He is more like a little person now.

He smiles innocently and starts cooing in baby language when we are around. I can't decipher much of it but I see that his daddy also speaks to him in the same weird language.

He flails his arms and legs as though he is cycling most of the time. It is exciting to see him roll around in bed and occasionally turn over. I know these are all developmental milestones in the growth of the baby.

I can see my whole life flash before me when I look into his crystal clear eyes. I see my past, present and future in him. Words cannnot explain the feeling of motherhood. It must be experienced to be understood.

No comments: