Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Does atmosphere@work matter?

I just read some articles on diversity and inclusion posted on my company intranet. It was exciting to know more about the initiatives aimed at empowering employees. This got me thinking about what makes workplaces tick.

I have very little work experience in comparison with the industry veterans I just read about. However, I have had the great fortune of working in many organizations during this limited time.

My first taste of industry experience came when I joined as a student trainee in an Indian Seed Company M. Company M was renowed as a leader in agricultural seed production and a pioneer in biotechnology.

The atmosphere at their corporate centre was very formal. I remember facing a panel of executives during my first round of interviews. In crisp and cutting tones, they reiterated that this company was not the place for young females.

This did dash my hopes but I stuck on there adamant to prove that women can do difficult jobs.

I did prove that the project given to me can be done by a woman. I travelled around to all the rural parts of Karnataka to evaluate the seed production fields in scorching heat. I took the intercity back to Bangalore every week where I was based.

There were no women employees in the production centre located in a no-man's land except for a cleaning lady. She was so happy to see me and always brought me a freshly-plucked rose from the garden and a cup of tea.

The work atmosphere was totally formal like I anticipated but the people were warm and helpful. I was doing my training under the guidance of a well known, elderly professor. He treated me very well and I am grateful to him for opening up a whole new window of knowledge.

I moved on to a national environmental organization as their media officer. The programme officer I worked for was very demanding. I remember having long review sessions with her.

I loved their campus in the Indian city of Ahmadabad. It was full of life with monkeys jumping about in the trees, peacocks fluttering around and red brick buildings designed to accomodate the flora and fauna. I enjoyed travelling to network offices, organizing pre-publication workshops and attending international conferences.

I came to Mumbai city with a job in a leading commodity exchange E in their research & development wing. The managers were very welcoming and informal. We went out for lunch together (even with the senior R&D managers) on saturdays mostly every week.

We had celebrations for almost everything in exchange E - for eg. when the exchange increased business, women's day, diwali, new year etc. The most exceptional aspect being that people were appreciated in the company.

As a small organization, it was possible for the managers/HR to celebrate personal milestones like weddings and birthdays. I was surprised to be called in to the managers cabin one day only to find that my team mates were gathered inside as well. They presented me with a gift to celebrate my wedding.

I moved to Brussels, Belgium after marriage and worked briefly for a small, international organization.

The Executive Director of that organization is still special to me. She is a very dynamic and accomplished lady. As the driving force behind the organization, she promotes and motivates her team members with a rare zeal and enthusiasm.

Alas, I still had to move on to greener pastures. I now work for an Indian information technology giant. The opportunities in this IT company are challenging and I was blessed to be able to take up an innovative assignment for them in Brussels.

I loved the work but I didn't find the particular project management very suitable. The project managers were not people-oriented at all. I felt as if I was just a number in their rolls.

This was also true with all the other team members although I am not authorized to speak for them. It was more like the people for the project and not the reverse. The feeling that people did not matter took a lot of joy out of doing the work.

I can't remember a single team outing during a one year period. Team-building efforts were practically non-existant.

This is not true about the IT company in totality. There are many initiatives for fostering a sense of belonging from a company perspective but it just didn't trickle down to my project.

I believe that people quit workplaces because of the way they are treated. The organization that values its workforce and provides the right atmosphere will win in the long run.

Work place culture and atmosphere are crucial for me to be satisfied with what I am doing. It is a fine balancing act for companies as well as for the individuals who form the company.

No comments: