Thursday, May 28, 2009

Living on the Edge - The Dangerous Art of Train Hopping

I was incredibly sad to read about the train guard who lost his limbs in a tragic train accident last week. As someone who travelled daily by Belgian rail the past year, I can relate to what must have happened.

It seems that an elderly passenger tried to board the train through the train guard's door just as the train was about to leave. In the aftermath, both the passenger and the train guard were injured.

All passenger doors close when the train is about to leave except for the train guard's door. The train guard then keys in the signal and boards the train.

I used to see this ritual repeat at every station. As a result, I was aware that the only door open incase I was late was the train guard's door.

I had to brave the Brussels city traffic and road repairs on my way to the Brussels Central station. The race to get to office on time brought on an maddening adrenalin rush.

The thought of my Boss noticing the constant late arrivals to office made me jittery and ready to take risks. I had already given all the possible excuses like rush hour traffic, road construction, train cancellation / delay, sickness and so on...

Almost always the train was already on the platform as I arrived. One quick glance at the train notice board, and I would scoot off to the platform to board the train.

I would then search frantically for the open door at the train guard's end. A swift entry into the train and I was guarenteed a comfortable journey to office in time.

I was very late once and tried to board through the guard's door. The lady train guard flailed her arms in despair and stopped me from entering. I was very angry at her as I was hopelessly late for office. I now realize that she was only doing her duty and following the safety protocol.

Jumping into trains is routine in Mumbai where the local trains are the lifeline of the city. I was one among the masses who depended on the local trains to commute to work once upon a time.

Mumbai local trains stop only for a few seconds in a station. The crowd presses in and out of the compartments and accidents are common. It is downright dangerous to travel on Mumbai locals for those not familiar with the peculiarities of this mode of transport.

Belgian trains are many times more safer in comparison. It is only common sense to not hop into a train almost ready to leave through the guard's door. Unfortunately, in these stressful times, common sense is very uncommon.

1 comment:

Haddock said...

Very true.. . . ..at stressful times, common sense is very uncommon.